Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Necessity of the Word

Now, I am not a brilliant mind. I don't have my masters or doctorate in anything. I haven't even been to seminary. But I am a woman who reads God's Word and studies it. I want to know my creator and I want to know how I can follow Him more faithfully.

I have been doing a Bible study this year that has required me to read through the whole Bible and study the main points and characters of each book. So far, I have gotten through Song of Solomon. I have loved it!!!! I have been able to see such a clearer view of Scripture as a whole and I am so excited to get back into the study in the fall. Of all the things I have learned this year from reading the Word, is that man has the choice to follow God or not. And historically, man has succeeded at this and also failed miserably. Every time man has failed, it is because they have neglected the Word of God.

That is why my heart aches and my stomach churns when I start to hear more and more of our generation turning away from the Word. I hate to hear pastors who only teach the nice parts of Scripture, and I hate even more when pastors start to say that some Scripture is untrue or irrelevant. If we have learned anything from history, it is that the only way we will succeed (the way God views success) in this life is by following all of the Word. The moment we start to pick and choose what is true and untrue, we start on a slippery slope to destruction. It happened to Israel every time they neglected to follow the law and it will happen to us as well. If we choose to follow God's Word, meditate on it, memorize it, study it, we will be "like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers." (Psalm 1:3)

No comments: